Calling All Innovators and Entrepreneurs!
Held annually, the UT Dallas Big Idea Competition (previously called the “Business Idea Competition”) gives both undergraduate and graduate students from every school on campus the opportunity to develop and present their business ideas while competing for $20,000 in cash and scholarship prizes.
- BIC applications open: August 24th
- BIC Kick-Off Event: September 7th
- BIC applications close: October 13th
- Semifinalists announced: October 20th
- BIC Semifinals: November 3rd
- BIC Final: November 16th
Online submissions are due on October 13th, by 11:59 pm. Copies of the online entry form can be found at BIC 2017 Entry Form (https://goo.gl/TaiAZZ ). All submissions will be evaluated by a panel of reviewers. The top 25 submissions will be selected as semifinalists and will be announced on Monday, October 20th on both the Institute’s website and via email to all participants. The semi-final round will be held on Friday, November 3rd and the final competition will be held on Thursday, November 16th. Semi-finalists will present their ideas to a groups of judges in a morning session not open to the public, with the top 5 teams moving on to the final competition. At the final, teams will present their ideas to a different panel of judges. Winners will be announced at the end of the competition’s program.
Eligibility to compete in the 2017 Big Idea Competition is subject to the following criteria:
- Teams are encouraged to have between 2-5 members.
- All members of a team competing must be currently registered students at an accredited academic institution. A majority of the members of the team must be currently registered UT Dallas students.
- Teams may consist of a mix of student status (i.e. undergrad, graduate, Ph.D., and post-doc).
- Prior year winners may compete, but not with the same or similar business idea.
- Teams may submit more than 1 entry. However, only 1 entry per team will be selected for advancement to the semi-finals.