Our mission at the Institute is to “enable the next generation’s new ventures.” We accomplish this by educating, empowering, and equipping our students, alumni, faculty & staff, and the global UT Dallas community.
- The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship is established as a collaborative initiative between six academic schools on campus
The Institute’s programs focus on initiatives in four broad areas:
- Academic and Student Programs
- Internal Programs and Support
- Community Outreach
- Texas Instruments Foundation establishes a $332,400 grant to create a TI Science & Technology Innovation Fund. A portion of the grant further established the Entrepreneurship Incentive Scholarship program, which was designed to encourage undergraduates enrolled in UTD’s engineering, science and technology majors to take entrepreneurship courses, leading to the university’s minor in Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
- The Office of Technology Commercialization is created to help researchers create companies and move their inventions from the lab to the marketplace.
- The Jindal School of Management launches the Master of Science in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (MSIE) program designed both for individuals piloting startups and those leading pioneering ventures within established organizations.
- The Venture Development Center opens, creating 8,000-square-feet of dedicated space for spinoff companies established by university students and faculty. The facility includes 11 offices, six laboratories and central facilities such as conference rooms and a kitchen.
2012 – 2014
- Startup Launch Program is introduced, a competitive track within the MSIE degree program that offers students up to $25,000 in startup funds plus office space in the Venture Development Center and mentoring from faculty and experienced entrepreneurs
- CometX, the first university cohort-based accelerator is introduced.
- The University receives a $1 million grant by the Blackstone Charitable Foundation to establish the Blackstone LaunchPad on campus, joining an exclusive global network of 15 universities.
- Richardson Chamber of Commerce recognizes the Institute with the EDGE Award for its significant investment in the city.
- Blackstone LaunchPad co-working space opens.
- The Institute establishes the UT Dallas Seed Fund to invest in university affiliated startups.
- UT Dallas Seed Fund wins Tech Titans “Investment Catalyst Award.”
- I&E Undergraduate program ranked (#23) for first time by The Princeton Review
- New women’s initiatives are introduced including GalXc accelerator and Women’s Summit