OVERVIEW AND KEY DATES
CometX is an eight-week, experiential accelerator program that pulls student entrepreneurs into an environment that incubates ideas and engages prospective customers in preparation for the launch of a new business concept.
This 8-week program covers the following topics:
- Getting started and minimum viable product (MVP)
- Startup legal basics
- Building a team
- Business model canvas
- Launch and marketing
- Fundraising, Investment, and KPI’s
- Building a pitch deck and how to pitch
Guest speakers, subject matter experts, and mentors are included throughout the program. The program concludes with a pitch competition.
Sessions take place Thursdays from 3:00-5:00 PM at the Blackstone LaunchPad
Applications Due: September 8,2021
Program Begins: September 16, 2021
Program Ends: November 4, 2021
Pitch Day: November 11, 2021
APPLICATION AND ELIGIBILITY
Currently-enrolled UT Dallas students of any classification or major are welcome. UT Dallas staff, faculty, and alumni are also welcome.
FALL 2021 APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED, PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR SPRING 2022 DATES
Founder & CEO, Geode Software
David is a serial entrepreneur, technologist, investor, and advisor. He got started early in technology and startups, coding at age 14 and launching his first business at 19. At only 22, he became a serial entrepreneur when he launched Geode Software in the wake of the dot com bubble burst. His third business, EasySeat.com, would ultimately be his most successful, reaching #176 on the Inc 500. In 2015, David sold EasySeat to a strategic buyer. He still runs Geode as a boutique consulting firm where he advises $25M-100M businesses on leveraging technology to make money, save money, or improve customer experiences.
As a serial entrepreneur, David enjoys helping entrepreneurs, at any stage, navigate their path to success. He is an active mentor and advisor with Capital Factory, MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge, RevTech Ventures, the United Way Social Innovation Accelerator, and multiple early stage companies.
David is a graduate of the University of Connecticut, a former Beneficial Hodson Scholar at Johns Hopkins University, holds a Certificate in Corporate Finance from Harvard University.
FALL 2020 DATESApplications Due Date: 8/30/2020 Program Begins: 9/01/2020 Program Ends: 10/13/2020 Pitch Day: 10/20/2020 Time and Day: Tuesdays from 4:00 PM-6:00 PM Location: Virtual
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you need help identifying your target market or figuring out your business plan?
If you need help fine tuning your business model or revenue model, or you are a first-time entrepreneur wanting to hone your skills from proven entrepreneurs, then this program could be perfect for you. That being said, you get what you put in. We can’t (and won’t) start the business for you. We can’t (and won’t) do all of the research and customer discovery for you. We can (and will) teach you how to do it and support you along the way!
CometX receives over 200 applications per semester and has an average of 50 participants each semester. Many CometX participants go on to compete in the UT Dallas Big Idea Competition and other state, national, and international competitions. 100% of feedback survey respondents agreed that the program added to their college experience at UT Dallas. By the end of the program, 15% of participants launch a business while 25% continue working towards launch.
More information here: https://cms.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules/90101-intellectual-property.
Please contact Dresden Goldberg if you are unsure: Dresden.email@example.com
The LaunchPad network helps students succeed in entrepreneurship and in their careers. Available to over 750,000 college students, LaunchPad is designed to complement existing on-campus entrepreneurship resources, catalyze student ventures through connections to off-campus opportunities, and convene students and staff at global events leveraging our world-class, industry-leading mentors, networks, and brands. LaunchPad transforms students into entrepreneurs.
We believe the energy transformation is the greatest opportunity of our lifetime and will need breakthrough technologies to solve systemic problems in a profitable and scalable way.
At Palio’s – Richardson, we are proud to serve our local Richardson community. From being active in sponsoring local events, sports teams, and schools to helping organizations with fundraising, we strive to help the Richardson community thrive, all while serving the best gourmet pizza, pasta, sandwiches & salads in town!
- 1st – Forgot or Knot – Jason Hendricks, MS Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- 2nd – Cadbase – Steve Nguyen, BS Engineering and Computer Science
- 3rd – A3 – Vignesh Vasan, BS Engineering and Computer Science
- 1st – Cooked19 – Jeannie Nghiem, BS Neuroscience
- 2nd – Fluingo – Murali Krishna Velineni, BS Computer Engineering
- 3rd – Food Magnet – Mercedes Johnson, MBA
- 1st – Kairos VR: Rohit Nair, BS Biomedical Engineering
- 2nd – Smart Wheelchair: Shobhit Jain, MS Computer Science,
- 3rd – Tiremba: Purav Kumar Maheshwari, BS Mechanical Engineering; Anushka Noubad, BS Finance; Hamsini Ajjan, BS Finance
- 2nd – Resume Puppy: Anish Hegde, MS Computer Science
- 3rd – Empire: Ankita Bantey, BS Computer Science
- 1st – Senseloaf: Bharat Rao, MS Business Analytics
- 2nd and Best Undergraduate Pitch – Comely: Amelia Novikau, BSBA, Entrepreneurship
- 3rd – IDA: Varika Pinnam, BS Marketing
- Innovate(her) – Leg Up Legal: Anjie Vichayanonda, BSBA
- 1st – GetARoommate: Mitesh Khadgi, MS Computer Engineering
- 2nd – WorkEng: Alex Garcia Topete, PhD, Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communications
- 3rd – Vault: Tommy Zhu, MS Accounting
If you are interested in or have any questions about CometX, please